Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A bit about Kurt Gerber



What's your favorite moment of a wedding?
I like when we make the photographs of the couple being playful and romantic, either prior to the ceremony or between the ceremony and reception.  Magic hour is my favorite time of day, so it's fun to be working with the couple just as the sun is setting.

What is your go-to lens of choice?
I carry about eight lenses with me to a wedding.  My favorite lens is my 70-200mm lens.  I like to use it during the ceremony and later to make dramatic images of my couple against the skyline.  When I shoot with a wide open aperture, it really keeps the background soft and romantic.

Do you have a fail-safe location that you couldn't do without?
I have made some fun wedding party photographs on the Kinzie St. Bridge.  I feel like Mike and I made the bridge a wedding party location.  Now, on some Saturdays, the queue of wedding trolleys can be four of five deep.  It's flattering that our location has become so mimicked by the wedding photography community.  I guess we will have to find a fresh location for large groups this season.

What is your favorite appetizer?
I am a fan of the friendly server with a nice platter full of hor dourves.

What is a funny thing that has happened to you while shooting?
I like when people have their dogs in the wedding party.

Who are some photographers that inspire you?
Irving Penn and Richard Avedon.

Favorite Venues:
I like outdoor ceremonies.  Lake Forest Academy is nice.

Favorite Movies:
An Education is among my favorites lately.  I like going to the movies with my daughter and wife.

Favorite Chicago neighborhood:
I like them all.

Best vacation destination:
I like the Baja peninsula in Mexico for a winter getaway.  If you have 2 weeks, Africa is spectacular.







Who are your favorite bands/artists?


Silversun Pickups are my current favorite.  I love old school 90's rap, too.

Where to see your personal work:
www.kurtgerberfineart.com

If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
Eagle or panther, one of them is graceful in the air, the other graceful on earth.

Dogs or cats?
Dogs of course.

Best Chicago restaurant:
Blackbird

If you were hosting a guest that has never been to Chicago before, where would you take them?
Cubs games are great for out-of-towners.  We have a fantastic lakefront, too.

If you could se one band, front row, dead or alive, who would it be?
Prince live is pretty awesome.  I'd like to see Lady Gaga from the front row.

First concert:
Boz Scaggs and the Allman Brothers

Play an instrument?
Newbie guitar player.

How did you meet your significant other?
Chicago Reader.

Favorite wedding color combo?
We photographed a wedding that was bright yellow, black, and white.  It was beautiful and dramatic.

No comments:

Blogging tips